Do you have any suggestions for good questions to ask when I talk with someone for an informational interview?
Sure – first, think about anything that you are specifically wondering about the career field, position, organization, or venture (like starting a blog, online store, etc) and ask those questions, but here are some other general questions that can be good to ask:
- What are your main responsibilities as a…?
- What is a typical day (or week) like for you?
- What do you like most about your work?
- What do you like least about your work?
- What kinds of problems do you deal with?
- What kinds of decisions do you make?
- What do you wish you would have known before entering this field? (This is a great question to ask when touring college campuses, or starting a new venture too!)
- What advice do you have for me?
- What current issues and trends in the field should I know about/be aware of?
- What related fields do you think I should consider looking into?
- How did you become interested in this field?
- How did you begin your career?
- How do most people get into this field? What are common entry-level jobs?
- What steps would you recommend I take to prepare to enter this field?
- What kind of education, training, or background does your job require?
- What skills, abilities, and personal attributes are essential to success in your job/this field?
- What is the profile of the person most recently hired at my level?
- What are the most effective strategies for seeking a position in this field?
- I’ve read that the entry-level salary range for this field is usually in the range of ______? Does this fit with what you’ve seen? (Don’t ask about the person’s actual salary.)
- What advice would you give someone who is considering this type of job (or field)?
- Can you suggest anyone else I could contact for additional information? May I say you referred me?